Ground: St. Andrew's
Manager: Harry Redknapp
A band of cricketers from Holy Church in Bordesley Green founded the club under the name of Small Heath Alliance in 1875. The club turned professional 10 years later, agreeing to pay their players half the gate receipts. In 1879, the first match between the two sides was recorded as a victory to Small Heath by "one goal and a disputed goal to nil."
The Blues were founding members of the Football League Second Division in 1892 and were champions in their first season. They became Birmingham City FC in 1905 and moved into their permanent home of St Andrews Stadium a year later. To facilitate this move, a group of gypsies had to be evicted and it is rumoured they put a curse on the ground as they left. Fans still blame this curse during every bad run.
The club have spent most of their existence bouncing between the top two flights - their Second Division title in 1955 was notable in that they beat Luton Town on goal average by just 0.297 of a goal. Their only major cup victory - the 1963 League Cup - was made even sweeter in that it was over rivals Aston Villa.