Friends of Fulham - standup if you still believe

fulham foundation


The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - intro
The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 1 The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 2
The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 3 The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 4
The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 5The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 6
The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 7 The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 8
The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 9The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 10
The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 11The Foundation of Fulham Football Club - Part 12
“Foundation History of The Fulham Football Club”
by H.D. Shrimpton (ex Fulham F.C. player and secretary)

 Part I

“TWO CLERICS WERE THE REAL FOUNDERS"

The Fulham Club was founded in 1879 – not 1880 as sometimes published. In its very varied existence it has been faced by many set-backs but has invariably come out on top.

The Club today boasts a neat, compact and comfortable ground on the banks of the Thames at Craven Cottage, and a very loyal and ardent array of followers who, win or lose, continue to give their unstinted support while good, clean honest to goodness football is played.

The real founders of the club were the Rev. Cardwell of St, Andrew’s, Fulham and the Rev. P.S.G. Propert (later Prebendary) of St. Augustine’s Mission, Lillie Road.

The latter in his earlier days at Oxford had been a footballer and a general all-round athlete, but he never played for the club. These two clergymen in their spare time fostered sport among the youngsters of St. Andrews Youth Club.

Football and cricket were their main sports, the cricket section being coached by Mr. W.H. Patterson, one-time captain of Kent County Cricket Club. The football club was known as St. Andrews.

Its ground - not enclosed - was situated in Star Road, Fulham, adjacent to the school, and was commonly known as “The Mud Pond.”

Although it has been stated from time to time that Fulham F.C. started their career at Lillie Road, this is not correct, for one goal backed on to Star Road School wall and, moreover, Lillie Road School was not built until 1893.

The first secretary of the club was Mr.Tom Norman. Playing colours were at first nondescript, but when the club began to get into its stride, definite colours were decided on, these being light and dark blue quartered jerseys, later changed to shirts in keeping with the then prevailing patterns.”